Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Steering into Calmer Waters

The past 2 months have been frustrating. Market up, market down, often sending contradictory messages and moving the opposite of what would be expected from news releases. So while it has still been a good year, I am tired of giving back gains in a market that changes dramatically each day.

As of now, I have positioned my IRA as follows:
~75% Cash
~8% Corporate Bonds (Ford and NOVA Chemicals)
~17% Large dividend companies and consumer non-discretionary.

Yes, a very bearish position that is trying to avoid volatility.

I exited my positions in financials, short treasuries and precious metals. On-going turmoil in Europe and a strengthening US dollar has not helped my portfolio. With little action from either the European Central Bank and the Federal Reserve, I have found myself on the wrong side of market movements.

So I turn my attention to 2012 and whether there are any longer-term "investable" trends or if volatility will make only the most talented trader wealthy. At this point my 6-12 month outlook is quite bearish and I have decided to "stop banging my head against the wall" in this volatile market, which feels much better.

Happy Holidays to everyone and May the Markets be Fortunate for You.

No comments:

Post a Comment