Saturday, April 7, 2012

Is the Market at a Pivot Point?

A bullish investor would likely argue that the US economy is improving and should continue to improve without additional stimulus. A bearish investor, like myself, argues that the recent improvements in the market are more a result of monetary stimulus than real economic improvement. This week the markets faltered somewhat on the perception that the Federal Reserve may not provide additional stimulus. Was this weakness a momentary blip or a pivot point?

Clearly I have been wrong to date on the markets. While my strategy of maintaining a relatively neutral balance between long and short has avoided any catastrophic losses, my edging towards more weighting of short positions by the end of the quarter clearly hurt the performance of my IRA. For the month of March my IRA declined 1.2%. For the quarter I managed to squeak out a small gain of 1.9%, largely due to healthy performance by my high yield bond positions. This performance has under-performed the markets by a fairly wide margin. On an annual basis, my IRA increased 15.2%, aided immensely by my weak performance during the first quarter of 2011. I guess I am just a slow starter.

So, pivot point or bump in the road?

The job data released on Friday of 120,000 net new jobs created in March was another conflicted data point. It was well below the expected number of over 200,000 and potentially portends declining job growth, and thus weakening economic growth. But, does the number increase the likelihood of additional monetary easing, floating the market higher? So, the question in my bearish mind is: Over the next few months, is the market driven by weak real economic activity or excessive liquidity? Longer-term, I believe the market must ultimately succumb to fundamentals, it is just a matter of how long the Fed allows us to keep digging a deeper hole.

The question, in my mind, is somewhat misleading. To me, the trends of Sagflation continue to act on the economy and markets. Weak real economic growth and more volatile prices is not a friendly investing environment. Debt levels in Europe and weakening economic activity (and political stability) in China may continue to weigh on the markets. The Federal Reserve can inflate the economy for a while, but we are in trouble when the markets begin to question the "realness" of the economic strength. Does this play out as accelerating inflation, falling employment, or both? For now I plan to pursue three steps:

Step 1 - Continue to move the net balance of my portfolio towards short positions.
Step 2 - Opportunistically invest in treasuries, non-cyclical commodities, and consumer staple stocks.
Step 3 - Look for attractive themes, like the aging car fleet in the US and potential rising demand for US natural gas.

The first quarter was surprisingly tame, I doubt the next three quarters can offer the same tranquility.


No comments:

Post a Comment